Re: ocaml and lindows.com

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 04:59:51PM -0800, David FOx wrote:
> We have done several projects here using ocaml, because me and two other
> senior engineers here have a long history with functional programming
> languages.  I wrote the back end of the Click-n-Run software warehouse
> in ocaml.  This takes the Debian repository and reprocesses all the
> packages to generate the database information used by the front end (the
> catalogue) and modifies the packages so that they fit into our
> distribution, modifying and generating KDE menu entries and so forth.
> This turns out to be a little more complicated than it first sounds,
> because you have to modify the version numbers on the packages, and then
> you have to modify all the equals dependencies, and so on and so forth.
>
> The other major use is in our new hardware detection system.  I
> basically did a literal translation of a lot of perl code we inherited,
> which is my excuse why it is still pretty ugly.  But it had to be
> drop-in compatible.  This version isn't available for download yet, but
> it will be late in the year.  There are ocaml components that manage the
> boot loader, the PCI device mapping, and the X configuration.

Also, i have been toying with a libparted re-implmementation in ocaml,
with filesystem/partition schemes plugins using dynlink, and maybe a
graphical interface using lablgtk2.

I don't know if it will be able to be small enough to fit into a small
format installation media, like the on-floppy initrd or something such.