Re: patch - add an ocaml-interp binary package

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 09:42:44PM +0100, Ralf Treinen wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 08:55:35PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
>
> > Also, we could rename ocaml-base as ocaml-runtime, and have ocaml-base
> > contain the interpreter.
>
> NO! Don't do it! We would have to change all packages that depend

Huh, forgot the smiley.

> on ocaml-base. And it would be a big mess since the package
> ocaml-base wouldn't provide any longer what it used to provide.
> Please leave ocaml-base as it is. The runtime system is the
> most basic part of the ocaml system, and it should keep its
> name. Why not call the new interpreter package "ocaml-toplevel"
> since this is what it provides?

That sounds nice. It contains a bunch of .cmi and .cmas though.

I guess it will not be needed to do a similar split for the other
libraries, since if someone wants to use one of those as a script, he
should depend on the full -devel file.

Still waiting from response of Xavier on the bignum issue.