Re: ocaml-3.06 3.06-16 ready to be tested ...

Sven Luther <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> writes:

>> We can provide an Ocaml plus a CVS snapshot of OCaml which
>> won't get any support for our libraries. So, we wouldn't
>> need that.
>
> Well, the real problem is for when migrating between different ocaml
> versions. We have currently ocaml 3.06-1, and a set of libraries around
> that that. Once i upload 3.07, there will be a new set of libraries, but
> the old one will still be available until all libraries and apps are
> rebuilt with the new ocaml and libraries.

There isn't any problem: when you upload a 3.07, libraries depending on
3.06 become uninstallable. So you can have nothing but those choices:
- not upgrading to 3.07 (holding ocaml)
- upgrading to 3.07 which makes all libraries being vanished.

So, it doesn't break anything and this is what we want (that is, we can
never have 3.06-built libs and ocaml 3.07 installed at a time).

> Now, it comes to the case of third parties apps, like the ones remi
> uses, which need the old ocaml runtime, and the the corresponding
> libraries also.

He need to rebuilt those third pary apps against the new ocaml.
This is how unstable works.

>> No need to make things more difficult than they are.
>
> You were the one pointing the C library case.
>
> We have the same problem as them.

Do you mean the .so problem? If so, it is another story.

--
Jérôme Marant

http://marant.org