Re: ocaml-3.06 3.06-16 ready to be tested ...

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 08:53:09PM +0100, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> Sven Luther <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> writes:
>
> >> What's the problem with them?
> >
> > Fine with me, we decided against it last time though.
> >
> > Basically, there are two issues, the one is the ocaml dependency, the
> > other the interlibrary stuff.
>
> Oh no, don't tell me we're back again.

You where the one starting it this time.

> > We would finish with something of the kind (for library foo).
> >
> > libfoo-1.2.5-ocaml-3.06 and libfoo-1.2.5-ocaml-3.06-dev.
>
> We can provide an Ocaml plus a CVS snapshot of OCaml which
> won't get any support for our libraries. So, we wouldn't
> need that.

Well, the real problem is for when migrating between different ocaml
versions. We have currently ocaml 3.06-1, and a set of libraries around
that that. Once i upload 3.07, there will be a new set of libraries, but
the old one will still be available until all libraries and apps are
rebuilt with the new ocaml and libraries.

Now, it comes to the case of third parties apps, like the ones remi
uses, which need the old ocaml runtime, and the the corresponding
libraries also.

> No need to make things more difficult than they are.

You were the one pointing the C library case.

We have the same problem as them.