Re: purge_ld_conf.pl [Was: Re: the move to stublib]

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 07:04:40PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 07:04:17PM +0200, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> > Well, you would only make this in currently broken packages, no need for
> > future packages. Also, if we have on centralized way of handling this
>
> A precisastion: for package built with dh_ocamlld broken version, since
> the broken things was dh_ocamlld, not the packages themselves, in fact

Yes, sure ...

> > Also, i don't know, but each library cleaning up behing itself seems the
> > more logical thing to do for me.
>
> ... this is the reason why a thought about a centralized clean up.

more about it below.

> > (ocaml-ldconf and dh_ocamlld) then the effort is not multiplicated that
> > much.
>
> Uhm, so we (even I) can add an option (like "-P") to ocaml-ldconf that
> purge "spurious" entries in /var/lib/ocaml/ld.conf and call it from each
> 'broken' package. This seems to me a good solution.
>
> Moreover write such a fix tool in ocaml-ldconf is easier because all the
> parsing work is already coded.

Yes, i will fix ocaml-ldconf so it does this. It is the natural place to
do it, and as you said, it will not be much work.

> > the kind. If we could even throw in the version checking stuff, then we
> > could even restrict the ocaml-ldconf -R running to the strict miminum.
> >
> > Let's do the right thing and not a quick hack.
>
> You haven't yet managed to convince me why we can't, once we have a
> working fix tool (like the above "ocaml-ldconf -P"), call it from the
> ocaml postinst script :)

You know, you have almost convinced me yesterday, but after thinking
about it a bit more, i persist in thinking that the library packages are
the right place to put it. And this for various reasons (i hope i did
not forget some of them).

  o The most important thing is that the library packages know which
  dir/package entry correspond to them, and so we only need to implement
  an option which will parse the /var/lib/ocaml/ld.conf file, and remove
  all entries relative to this package. Using a centralized cleanup in
  ocaml-base would mean analyzing the ld.conf file, checking each
  directory to see if it is empty or not (which is more processing
  intensive, especially if there are many such entries) and then take a
  decision, without being able to handle the case were the package
  decide to create an empty stub dir for later use.

Ok, i forgot the other reasons i thought yesterday, the fact that
ocaml-base is installed only once in a while, is in fact an argument
against me, since we can fix things once we install ocaml-base, and then
have all the future installed libraries packages use the fixed
dh_ocamlld script.

Anyway, i have here given a good reason for the per package cleanup, and
a good reason against it, i think mostly these are the two points we
have to weight, other stuff being more due to laziness/hacky solutions.

What do you think about it ?