Re: purge_ld_conf.pl [Was: Re: the move to stublib]

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 06:13:56PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 05:45:34PM +0200, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> > > Uhm, so you are thinking about a script that scans
> > > /var/lib/ocaml/ld.conf and remove entries that are no longer needed?
> >
> > Yes, since this is the only dir handled by dpkg.
>
> I can make the appropriate change to my perl script, if needed.

Ok, ...

Especially as we don't want to break things for a user who did put an
empty dir in /etc/ocaml/ld.conf to use it later, and then wonder where
it went when he needed it.

> > More to the point, i would also like the scanning to be handled by each
> > library package, and not centralized in the ocaml-base package.
>
> Uhm, as said, this multiplicate the efforts in a sensible way and
> spreads them in a lot of packages, are you sure of this choice?

Well, you would only make this in currently broken packages, no need for
future packages. Also, if we have on centralized way of handling this
(ocaml-ldconf and dh_ocamlld) then the effort is not multiplicated that
much.

Sure, it would mean calling ocaml-ldconf -R from each stublibs providing
library's postinst, but then, your scheme would also need something of
the kind. If we could even throw in the version checking stuff, then we
could even restrict the ocaml-ldconf -R running to the strict miminum.

Let's do the right thing and not a quick hack.

Also, i don't know, but each library cleaning up behing itself seems the
more logical thing to do for me.