Re: purge_ld_conf.pl [Was: Re: the move to stublib]

On Sat, Aug 31, 2002 at 09:53:50PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 31, 2002 at 12:25:20PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> > Anyway fixing the bug does not solve the problem for who have currently
> > installed packages built with buggy version of dh_ocamlld, so IIRC we
> > told about adding a check for spurious path in ld.conf directly in the
> > ocaml package, check that we forgot to add.
>
> I attach a Perl script that do the dirty work: it scans the
> /usr/lib/ocaml/ld.conf and if it find spurious entry (e.g. directories
> that doesn't effictively contain shared objects) it tries to remove them
> using ocaml-ldconf.
> It skips system directories like /usr/lib/ocaml/stublibs and
> /usr/local/lib/ocaml/<version>/stublibs.

No, i don't like it much.

I think the per package thingy would be best, but feel free to argue
with me about it, i am not strongly in favour of any of the solutions.

> Actually it isn't perfect:
> 1) it assume that no path was added by two packages even if ocaml-ldconf
> supports it, but this case currently does not hold for debian package
> library and is a bit unlikely
> 2) it also tries to remove directory that are in /usr/lib/ocaml/ld.conf
> and that come from /etc/ocaml/ld.conf and probably fails trying to learn
> the owning package from /var/lib/ocaml/ld.conf

Ok, and it is a bit hackish, i think. As said, i prefer the other
solution, but i am no expert in perl. I can do the the ocaml-ldconf part
though.

> Anyway it works!
> If Sven like this solution it can be added to the ocaml postinst script
> and I can provide a patch that fix the above problems (or at least the
> second one that is more important and is solvable in other 5 lines of
> code).

Mmm, let's discuss this a bit more, and see if the other solution is not
cleaner.