Re: status of debian-np

|| On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:19:27 -0200
|| Daniel Tygel <dtygel@nowtech.com.br> wrote:

dt> Really nice to read the last messages!

dt>   Vagrant, count on me for helping with possible translations to
dt>   portuguese. I'll check the links that you pointed out. It seems
dt>   like Otavio is brazilian, is it right? If so, where do you live?
dt>   I live in a tiny city in Minas Gerais.

Yes. I'm Brazilian. I'm live in Pelotas, Rio Grande do Sul.

dt>   Let me see if I understand: is Debian-NP already well-suited for
dt>   old hardware? Vagrant was talking about developing a
dt>   cd-installer for Debian-NP based in other projects (skolelinux
dt>   and freekbox). So I'll take a look in all those sites and check
dt>   how they work. Here at home I have three computers: the one I
dt>   work is a PentiumII 233Mhz with 128MB. There is another one
dt>   which is a PI-210Mhz with only 32MB RAM, and finally an ooooold
dt>   IBM notebook: a 486, 60Mhz with 20MB ram.

Should work in all your machines but your notebook. We need at last
24mb of RAM by now.

dt>   So the best way I might help you guys is testing stuff in these
dt>   three computers: the ease of installation, functionality, and so
dt>   on. Maybe I'll start taking a look at debian-installer (does it
dt>   work normally with debian-NP?).

Current cd-image of Debian-NP is really old. I suggest to you try both
debian-installer rc images and debian-br-cdd image.

dt>   I'm not a developer, but an end-user who can type some code,
dt>   just that. But you may count on me for this debian-NP project,
dt>   since I guess it might be very important for us here in
dt>   Brasil...

Sure.

dt>   Have you checked the slinky-installer of the rule-project? Gio,
dt>   the RedHat installed by slinky is installed with very basic
dt>   packages, using ICE WM, TinyX, the option between AbiWord and
dt>   OpenOffice, and also the option to install some softwares for
dt>   net...

One of problems current in Debian is a miss of TinyX packages.

dt>   A question: is there any project trying to build a simplified
dt>   OpenOffice package suited for old machines? I'm really impressed
dt>   by the difference in resources consumption when we compare
dt>   m$office and OpenOffice. Why is that so? (this might be a stupid
dt>   question... but don't forget I'm an end-user).

When you compare Windows and others graphical systems we have a lot of
differences. For example, on Windows we only have one graphical system
so we doesn't need to load others libs, Windows also have less
libraries to load since major of tools reuse what is already on
memory.

OpenOffice is really heavy because this different way of
implemention. We have a lot of dependencies and shared libraries to
load in memory. Other difference is we reimplement a lot of things and
this is good and bad at same time because we doesn't share all
resources available but at sime time we have many ways to do the same
thing and options to choose and so on.

dt>   So, if I might help somehow in this project, let me know!

Take a try on installers ;-)

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116