Hello

Hello Debian NP, I'm new to the list and I look forward
to contribute to the project if I can.

For different reasons I founded this nonprofit that aims
at narrowing the global digital gap through Free Software.

I'm a software developer and I have worked years ago on Unix
C and C++ systems, now mostly java and of course I "using"
Linux/GNU. I said "using" because until 2 years ago I thought
there was Linux, in this past year since I started this
project I discovered about 30 or more distros...! :-)
So... I discovered my ignorance and I'm working my way into
Linux distros and Free Software in general.

To make it short, I'm very much oriented towards Debian and
then I would like to find some caracteristic in my preferred
platform such as (but not limited):
- Run on older hardware
- Easy hardware detection
* Easy to install and keep updated
- Supported (meaning I can find someone to fix it in Nicaragua)
* Minimal/simple
* Easy to configure

Items * should allow to decide and maybe change later on the
configuration. In most case on an older PC I'd like a very minimal
version, probably need icewm, don't care for sound or movie
editing tools (as well as probably no db, mail, web servers).
In most cases my "clients" don't even know how to fully use
OpenOffice! In many cases I would like to give to the basic
user only a very limited menu (the more items they have the
more they get confused).

Well, I hope I can contribute to the project with ideas,
requirements and actually doing some activity, I thought
maybe before editing wiki pages is it a good idea to post
"material" on this list.

Ciao for now,

Gio
http://www.digitalright.org
Building ICT capacity against disparity!