status of debian-np

>   my name is Daniel, from Brasil, somehow in the same situation as
>   Gio: looking for some linux distro well suited for desktop's use in
>   old computers.

always a good thing.

>   Until now, the best distros I found with the caracteristics pointed out by Gio were the following:
>     - Vector Linux (actually in version 4);
>     - RULE project.

there has definitely been mention of the RULE project before.  not sure
about vector linux, but i'm slightly familiar with it.

>   Let me tell you about RULE project: it's a really great idea! It's a
>   project aiming at working on existing distros, trying to build an
>   installer which will install a basic package of that distro. Until
>   now they have been working with RedHat. They developed an installer,
>   called "slinky installer", which can install RedHat in as low as
>   12MB RAM computer!!

impressive!

>   I think that other developers could join the efforts of RULE to
>   develop installers for other distros, like Debian or Debian NP.

i'm not sure exactly how we would... debian-installer can work on as low
as 32MB machines, possibly lower.  it has a lot of nice features and
flexibility.

http://debian.org/devel/debian-installer

>   A question to this list: is the Debian NP project somehow stopped?

i would like to think of it as stalled more than stopped :)

most of the debian-np developers have been working on other projects,
from what i understand. so there's always room for more folks!

currently, i would like to make an installation CD similar to the
debian-edu/skolelinux project's installer, based on debian's sarge
(pre)release, and use freegeek's freekbox3 package list(s) and debconf
selections, and make a few profiles out of it.  i'd also be interested
in making a low-resource alternative that's similar.

freegeek has started getting enough hardware that they're able to ship
out 300MHz+ PII desktop computers with 128MB ram.  only a year and half
ago, it was 166-200MHz PI's with 80MB of ram, and a year before that,
100-166MHz with 48MB ram.  so freegeek has some experience with the
lower-end desktop linux machines, but less so with each passing year :)

http://skolelinux.org
http://freegeek.org
http://cvs.freegeek.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/freekbox3/

at the moment, i have considerable free time to work on this stuff,
though it may not last very long.

live well,
  vagrant