Re: status of debian-np

Really nice to read the last messages!
  Vagrant, count on me for helping with possible translations to portuguese. I'll check the links that you pointed out. It seems like Otavio is brazilian, is it right? If so, where do you live? I live in a tiny city in Minas Gerais.

  Let me see if I understand: is Debian-NP already well-suited for old hardware? Vagrant was talking about developing a cd-installer for Debian-NP based in other projects (skolelinux and freekbox). So I'll take a look in all those sites and check how they work. Here at home I have three computers: the one I work is a PentiumII 233Mhz with 128MB. There is another one which is a PI-210Mhz with only 32MB RAM, and finally an ooooold IBM notebook: a 486, 60Mhz with 20MB ram.

  So the best way I might help you guys is testing stuff in these three computers: the ease of installation, functionality, and so on. Maybe I'll start taking a look at debian-installer (does it work normally with debian-NP?).

  I'm not a developer, but an end-user who can type some code, just that. But you may count on me for this debian-NP project, since I guess it might be very important for us here in Brasil...

  Have you checked the slinky-installer of the rule-project? Gio, the RedHat installed by slinky is installed with very basic packages, using ICE WM, TinyX, the option between AbiWord and OpenOffice, and also the option to install some softwares for net...

  A question: is there any project trying to build a simplified OpenOffice package suited for old machines? I'm really impressed by the difference in resources consumption when we compare m$office and OpenOffice. Why is that so? (this might be a stupid question... but don't forget I'm an end-user).

  So, if I might help somehow in this project, let me know!
        Daniel