Re: next step...

I would agree with seb here. I looked at both Bricolage and Plone when evaluating CMSs for our website, we are a nationwide environment group in Australia and would recommend Plone over Bricolage for small NGOs and anyone wanting to build a more community orientated portal. While Bricolage is very good it is focuessed on people whose sites are content rich want strong structured workflow. It is far more than what most NGOs would need for there site IMHO and is neither the easiest CMS to set up nor the simplest to understand. Plone on the other hand is quite easy to install being fully packaged for debian already. It also has a lot of functionality that supports community orientated sites and is relatively easy to use although if you want to do a lot more than what the out of the box solution offers you will need people who can use the ZMI and preferably who have some python skills.
I recommend Drupal www.drupal.org as a solution for Community focussed sites as it is easy to install, either from source or using debs and has a lot of great functionality and a big team of developers behind it. It is really easy to get the hang of.
Midgard is another really good CMS and we chose to go with Midgard over Plone largely because we were much more familiar with the underlying technology and it was more suited to our needs. It also offers really good multilang capabilities although that is not something we are using and is also packaged for debian although not yet an official part of debian.
I have been trying to document our whole project of creating our new website and you can see it at www.sydney.wilderness.org.au/docs . The initial CMS evaluation is already a little dated as drupal for example has moved ahead by 2 versions since I first evaluated it and has a lot more functionality.

CMSs are a hard one to pick as there are so many and the choice will depend on just what sort of website the organisation is trying to build.
Cheers
John