Re: next step...

This one time, at band camp, Darryl Caldwell said:
> With the exception of a good fundraising system, most of the other apps
> are the same as those required of other small biz/office setups. Without
> namimg too many names here are the types that immediately come to mind:

I'm going to try to name names, mostly to ask other people for
suggestins as a starting point.

> Network:

> file/print servers (Samba and Netatalk...)
Samba and netatalk, agreed.  Perhaps also nfs, since we're talking about
using linux desktops now :)

> mailing list manager (Mailman...)
Yes

> content management systems
Bricolage?  As an aside, I've been thinking about packaging this, but
the perl dependencies are a real pain to get working - I've always had
to use CPAN installs of some of the modules, since the ones in Debian
aren't wuite synched to what bricolage wants at a given moment.  If
anyone wants to collaborate, please let me know.

> User/Network admin (thinking here about webmin...)
I agree

> Web caching
Squid should do here, and I think there's a webmin module for it - the
only argument I see against squid is the difficulty of setting it up, if
you're non-technical.

> IM system (Jabber...)

Also probably:
email for the domain (at least for larger non-profits)
Probably something like exim or postfix, both are reasonably
user-friendly to configure, and IIRC both have webmin modules.  Sendmail
seems a bit much, and is notoriously difficult to debug for people
without background in it (Speaking from having to use it at a couple of
sites  . . . :)

Print serving for the office network
CUPS, I'm thinking - it has been reliably easy to set up, at least in
the last year or so.  Older versions were occasionally unreliable, but I
have been impressed with everything since the version in Woody or so.

Perhaps also some default iptables setup, with a note to the new admin
that ports will need to be opened, and a pointer to the webmin module
for iptables (or is it shorewall?)  Maybe this is too ambitious, though,
as firewalling is too much about individual needs.  Perhaps a note to go
configure the firewall before going on line would be better, although I
guess it would be nice if the webmin modules or something were a little
easier.

> Desktop:

> browsers
Mozilla, or one of the clones, if only because the mozilla-likes manage
to deal with broken html, broken servers, and all sorts of other
MS-style standards breaking more gracefully than other browsers I have
used.  Personally, I prefer smaller, faster browsers, but I think that
not having to worry about things like, "Oh Konqueror doesn't display
this kind of page well, use a different browser" would be a plus.

> email
kmail?  evolution?  evolution has the advantage of the groupware
components, but there's kroupware (IIRC) or somesuch to go with kmail.
I so far have been happier with kmail than evolution for stability, but
I am interested in other's opinions.

> IM client
gaim, I would guess, although I am not the one to ask.

> productivity suites
OpenOffice, I think wins this one hands down.  Oddly, though, kword is
the only thing I've found that handles WordPerfect docs, so it might be
worth including it for that reason.

> groupware/calendaring
evolution, I guess, although others would be welcome.  I think that
sqwebmail also includes some sort of group calendaring in it's webmail
interface.  I think there are probably better solutions than that,
though.

> bookkeeping/accounting
GnuCash?  I will defer to others here as well.

I'm also kind of assuming some kind of integrated desktop environment,
like GNOME or KDE, as the interface for this.  If other people think
differently, let me know - I was just operating from the assumption that
these are the more familiar of the linux WM's/SM's that I have used, at
least from the perspective of people migrating from other OS's.  IceWM
also at least closely resembles something familiar.  Of course, I could
be off base here - I keep going back and forth on whether the initial
learning curve, in exchange for different expectations, is better or
worse than constantly noticing that IceWM, does not, in fact, behave
like Windows, despite a superficial resemblance.  Opinions welcome,
please.

Talk to you later,
|   ,''`.					     Stephen Gran |
|  : :' :					 sgran@debian.org |
|  `. `'			Debian user, admin, and developer |
|    `-					    http://www.debian.org |