Re: DM team: Delegation update requested

Hi,

On 03/05/2016 12:17, Aníbal Monsalve Salazar wrote:
> On Tue, 2016-05-03 09:33:57 +0100, Jonathan McDowell wrote:
>>>
>>> The consensus reached with NM Frontdesk is that no delegation is
>>> needed for the assigned tasks. I agree that this is also
>>> applicable to the Newmaint team. But I will not de-delegate
>>> Newmaint if they feel a delegation is still needed (If that's the
>>> case, I'd be interested to know why though) and would like to
>>> hear Anibal's opinion before taking a decision.
>>>
>>> Another option would be to welcome Anibal in the Keyring maint
>>> team, which could also make sense and would give him more
>>> autonomy. What do you think?
>>
>> In general we've tried to keep the roles responsible for deciding
>> which keys should go into the keyring separate from the management
>> of the keyring; while keyring-maint has taken over the addition of
>> DM keys to the keyring we have never engaged in processing DM
>> applications or making the decisions around accepting them.

I agree with Jonathan here that roles should be kept separate. On
another level, the team has been able to process keys in a timely
fashion, AFAIK. So nothing pleads in extending the team's size.

> In a meeting during DC9 in Caceres in 2009, Joey Hess, Jonathan
> McDowell and I agreed to pass the management of the DM keyring to
> the keyring team to integrate the DMs more into various Debian
> resources. It was done pretty well.
>
> During DC14 in Portland I meet Enrico Zini who wanted to merge the
> DM applications into the NM process. We agreed on it. It is work in
> progress.

I am also fairly confident this process could be automatized if we
find someone to write the necessary code. AFAIK, Enrico got no time
to do that yet. So maybe a call for help could make things move
forward.

Following the same reasoning applied to Frontdesk team's delegation,
I think delegation for the Newmaint team could be revoked since the
required work is administrative (AIUI) and requires no special powers.
It doesn't mean work cannot continue, but only that a delegation is
not required. Hopefully, this could also encourage more people to
join you and give some help.

Anibal, are we on the same page?

Kind regards,

--