Re: Suggestion: Time limit for NM process

Hello together...

On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 13:44 +0200, Ingo Juergensmann wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 01:10:37PM +0200, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> > On Sun, April 2, 2006 10:49, Ingo Juergensmann wrote
> > > I'm beginning to believe that comments like "You're entering NM? Hahaha!"
> > > or
> > > "Your chances are minimal" (from various people involved in that process)
> > > are true. Maybe I'm a little too paranoid, but I start thinking about
> > > withdrawing my application again.... It will depend on the new DPL as some
> > > candidates mentioned NM process in their platform.
> > I'm also considering withdrawal from the NM process. I do not feel welcome
> > to this project;
>
> Similar to me.

I'm in NM to, I can't say yet if it's so complicated because i'm still
waiting for an AM. What i do not really understand is the principe of NM
- some years ago you could become a DD in some weeks and today in some
years. Why can't it be easier to become a DD, i mean: if someone abuses
his privileges they still can be deleted, right? Have a look at cacert:
every member has some privilege and it works fine. My oppinion is the
following:

The applicant should search an advocate (like it is now) and this has to
recommend him. Then the DAM has to contact the applicant directly and
check his work, if he did enough work, and well work. If the applicant
did well work he should get a temporary "Junior Developer" status (may
upload packages himself, not yet a access to other privileges of a DD).
And after 6 months, if the applicant did well work and no abuse, he gets
the "normal" DD status.

This is just a suggestion, i'm sure that not everybody has the same
oppinion, so please do not override me due to this mail. But i think
that the process has to be changed too.

I think it's wrong to do this "tests" during the current NM process,
because the only real test is real work - grant the applicant some
rights and he has to show what he can really do.

Thank you

Mario Iseli