Re: AM Report for Week Ending 08 Dec 2002

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 10:55:48AM +0100, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:

>  Same thing for "being held back without any obvious reason to outside
>  observers".  I've been told off-list that Eray is being held back
>  because of "special circumstances" surrounding his case.  Allow me to
>  be very straighforward here: I don't care about _Eray_ the person, but
>  I care about the fact that when I go to http://nm.debian.org/ and look
>  at his application I see:

But in Eray's case, the reasons ARE obvious to outside observers;
actually, his comportment on mailing lists should be VERY obvious to
outside observers, and failing that, nm.debian.org also clearly states
what is being required of him before he can become a developer.

DAM approval is not necessarily a rubber stamp; in the end, the DAM is
personally responsible for creating Debian accounts, and I'm glad that
he DOES review the applications to make an independent decision, because
it is clearly possible to get an AM's approval for T&S and P&P without
truly being ready to be a DD.  The T&S and P&P are *minimum*
requirements, not a guarantee that someone who passes them should be
given the power of a full developer.

>     Debian Account Manager Comments
>     Have asked applicant to get 5 sponsors.

>  According to that information, he's been sitting at the DAM stage for
>  _2 years_ and at some point the DAM asked him to get five sponsors for
>  his application.

>  The way I read that is that the DAM doesn't think it's appropiate to
>  approve the application, but doesn't have any particular reason to
>  reject it and has asked five developers to pitch in and say "yes, I
>  think it should be approved".  That's fine for two months.  But two
>  years?

I think being unable to work together with other developers well enough
to get the backing of even five out of a THOUSAND is itself a
substantial reason not to approve an application.  Have you told the DAM
that YOU think he should be a DD?  If not, why not?

Although I suspect it was done entirely for selfish reasons ;), I think
the presence of the comment on Eray's NM page is exemplary.  You might
disagree with the DAM's reasoning for holding up the application (I
certainly don't), but I don't see why you would object to the comment on
the NM page.

Or were you suggesting that Eray's application should simply be
rejected, and the file closed?

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer