Re: [FWD] Re: [Jackit-devel] parallel installs to die

Hi Junichi,

|--==> Free Ekanayaka writes:

|--==> Junichi Uekawa writes:
  JU> Can you wait until etch release please ? This will mean binaries
  JU> compiled on sid will have a different SONAME requirements, so will no
  JU> longer work on etch. Right ?
  >>>
  >>>No they will  still work, as the SONAME  is unchanged  with respect to
  >>>the jack version in etch, it's still 0.0.23.

  JU> Hmm?
  JU> $ objdump -p /usr/lib/libjack.so |grep SON
  JU> SONAME      libjack-0.100.0.so.0

  FE> Oh that's true, sorry, I was mislead by the fact that:

  FE> $ ls -l /usr/lib/libjack.so
  FE> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 Jan 18 12:16 /usr/lib/libjack.so -> libjack-0.100.0.so.0.0.23

  FE> but I forgot that the  current libjack package  in actually forces the
  FE> change in the soname, even if the new version and the old are actually
  FE> binary compatible, but of course the linker doesn't know that :/

I did a test, and I confirm that packages built with the yet-to-upload
libjack package work with the current libjack in  etch, the problem is
that you have  to tell the linker   where the library is, for  example
with:

ln -s libjack-0.100.0.so.0.0.23 /usr/lib/libjack.so.0

but this of course is still a breakage.

Ciao,

Free