Re: [FWD] Re: [Jackit-devel] parallel installs to die

|--==> Junichi Uekawa writes:

  JU> Can you wait until etch release please ? This will mean binaries
  JU> compiled on sid will have a different SONAME requirements, so will no
  JU> longer work on etch. Right ?
  >>
  >>No they will  still work, as the SONAME  is unchanged  with respect to
  >>the jack version in etch, it's still 0.0.23.

  JU> Hmm?
  JU> $ objdump -p /usr/lib/libjack.so |grep SON
  JU>   SONAME      libjack-0.100.0.so.0

Oh that's true, sorry, I was mislead by the fact that:

$ ls -l /usr/lib/libjack.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 Jan 18 12:16 /usr/lib/libjack.so -> libjack-0.100.0.so.0.0.23

but I forgot that the  current libjack package  in actually forces the
change in the soname, even if the new version and the old are actually
binary compatible, but of course the linker doesn't know that :/

  >>Why   that?  The libjack-dev package is    currently a virtual package
  >>(which at the moment is only provided by  libjack0.100.0-dev) , and in
  >>any case  a  package  should  better  depend  on  it  rather   that on
  >>libjack0.100.0-dev, unless there are specific reasons to do it.
  >>
  >>So I  think that bug report should  be  done in  any  case, to prevent
  >>having   to  change  build-dependencies   if libjack0.100.0-dev   gets
  >>updated, say to libjack0.102.20-dev.

  JU> When the -dev name is going to be bumped, we'll have to have a
  JU> coordinated transition; with potentially manual testing. It doesn't
  JU> have to happen now. We're going to have to do that anyway when
  JU> something changes in jack side.

Yes it has worked that way till now, but that jack upstream developers
are now  going   to change  the soname  in  case  of  backward  binary
incompatibility, so we   don't  need anymore to  include   the version
number in  the  -dev package, and  change  all the  build dependencies
accordingly.

Ciao,

Free