Re: fastest MIPS platform for Linux?

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 09:27:53PM +0100, Ralf Baechle wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 12:00:55PM -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:
>
> > > We're working to resurrect the Origin 2000, now that is going to suck
> > > power :-)  Origin 200 running 2.6 is behaving very well btw.
> >
> > Hmm, that may be the right path then.  Can I just install debian and then
> > rebuild the 2.6 kernel?
>
> The Debian installer doesn't support the machine but you could just boot
> your Indy's installation over the network then partition the disk and
> transfer the entire installation to the Origin's disks.

Err, umm.  The entire list is going to think I'm the lamest person
around but I don't suppose there is someone out there with an O200 who
would be willing to do this for us?  If not, what if I were to buy one
and buy you one, then you get yours installed and send me a drive with
things installed.

I apologize for being so lame but we make exactly zero dollars off of
the Linux/MIPS platform and I can't afford to spend any significant time
on this.  If it costs me a couple of machines, well, OK, that's cool,
money is far easier to come by than my time (unfortunately I still do sys
admin for the company.  CEO & sys admin, wow, cool.  Not.)  So here's a
chance for some poor hacker (in the US, please, shipping costs are nasty
on these boxes) to get a O200 in return for some hacking.  Ideally, I'd
love it if the result was that debian-mips got real support for O200's.
I.e., get a cd, boot, install.  There are a lot of O200's on ebay cheap.

An interesting alternative would be the same deal with sibyte boards.
I could shake loose a couple of those boards from broadcom.  If someone
were interested in doing the grunt work to take debian (or any distro, I
don't really care) and make it support those boards (where support means
you shove in a CD and boot and install) then I'll pay for the hardware
(i.e., a board and all the other crud to make it a system).

Given a choice, I think I'd prefer the sibyte but I have to go find out
how much those are.  I have a query into some people at Broadcom, we'll
see what they say.
--
---
Larry McVoy                lm at bitmover.com           http://www.bitkeeper.com