Re: fastest MIPS platform for Linux?

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 08:55:45PM +0100, Ralf Baechle wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 11:27:29AM -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:
>
> > I'm wondering what is the fastest platform that will run Linux/MIPS.  I'm
> > currently running on an Indy and it's painfully slow at this point.  I'd
> > like to upgrade to a Indigo 2 R10K if I could or something similar.  As
> > far as I can see, nothing like that is supported.  Am I mistaken?  I've
> > seen some hints that an Origin 200 might be semi working but I'd prefer
> > to stay with something that doesn't suck power like it is free :)
>
> We're working to resurrect the Origin 2000, now that is going to suck
> power :-)  Origin 200 running 2.6 is behaving very well btw.

Hmm, that may be the right path then.  Can I just install debian and then
rebuild the 2.6 kernel?

What's the power draw on the O200?

> Indigo 2 R10000 and O2 R1x000 are two very hard to support machines due
> to the R10000's very odd behaviour in non-coherent systems but things
> are finally starting to move in this area.  Don't hold your breath ...

OK, I'll ignore those.

> High-performance evaluation boards like for the SB1250 or (soon) the
> RM9000x2 (Both dual-CPU on a die, 1GHz etc.) are probably the fastest you
> can get and consume very little power - but they're also rather expensive.
> In addition you can switch their endianess with a dip switch and reboot
> which may be welcome in your case, I guess?

I have friends at Broadcom and might be able to get a board somewhat cheaply.
Is that the best way to go?

What I'm looking for is a fast, stable build platform.  No graphics, it's
headless, I need networking (obviously).  All of this is so we can support
keeping MIPs in our build cluster.
--
---
Larry McVoy                lm at bitmover.com           http://www.bitkeeper.com