Re: O2+ kernel, framebuffer & installer state?

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 02:09:23PM +0100, Florian Laws wrote:

> > > How does IRIX (resp. sash) solve that problem?
> >
> > Not at all.  Well, different kernel binaries for each platform.  PIC code
> > would be a possible solution but that'd make my stomach turn upside down :)
>
> Hmm. And I thought you could put the same IRIX 6.15 CD in different types of
> machine and boot from it.

Oh, that is possible.  The firmware knows which file to boot from CD; the
CD then just contains a bunch of sash, ide and kernel images.

Btw, after resurrection from the dead the RM200 C wants a boot CD.  It's
an ARC machine so it can boot files directly from an ISO9660 filesystem.
It's also little endian so modulo CD most of an install CD should be
sharable with a DECstation except low-level stuff like kernel and module
binaries or X drivers.

I never looked into Debian boot CDs before, what does it take to get this
machine supported?

  Ralf