Re: O2+ kernel, framebuffer & installer state?

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 11:48:43AM +0100, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> Christian Luijten wrote:
> [snip]
> > > Debian has currently no support for O2, mainly because the developers
> > > have either no such hardware or not enough time. It is however
> > > relatively simple to add installer support once the kernel is stable.
> >
> > I don't quite follow how the whole mips arch is organized. Is there an
> > install kernel which works on all mips machines like on i386 where you
> > get a generic kernel for the installer and you can compile your own
> > specific kernel afterwards? Or does every model need a specific kernel?
>
> The mips architecture is much more diverse than i386, so there can't
> possibly be a generic one-size-fits-all kernel.
>
> > I already saw in the Debian on Indy howto there is a tftpboot.img
> > available, but that one seems to be specifically for an R4k on an IP22
> > mainboard.
>
> IP22 with r4k/r5k is supported, others like Origin, O2 and sb1-swarm
> are likely to follow. AFAICS each will need its own kernel.

Technically it is possible to have support for IP22 and IP32 in one kernel
image, but only common CPU for these is R5000. Btw, Ralf doesnŽt like this
idea. Latest cvs head compliles and runs on r5k O2 (with small additional
patch). IŽll prepare kernel image for you, just send me config.

	ladis