Re: O2+ kernel, framebuffer & installer state?

On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 12:04:04PM +0100, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> Christian Luijten wrote:
> > I've got an O2+ RM7000 at home and I would like to install Debian on it,
[...]
> Ah, a innocent victim for kernel testing. ;-)

And a volunteer :-)

> > So I wondered, can you help me with this one and if so, can I in turn
> > help you with testing the installer etc.
>
> Debian has currently no support for O2, mainly because the developers
> have either no such hardware or not enough time. It is however
> relatively simple to add installer support once the kernel is stable.

I don't quite follow how the whole mips arch is organized. Is there an
install kernel which works on all mips machines like on i386 where you
get a generic kernel for the installer and you can compile your own
specific kernel afterwards? Or does every model need a specific kernel?

I already saw in the Debian on Indy howto there is a tftpboot.img
available, but that one seems to be specifically for an R4k on an IP22
mainboard.

Christian