Re: debian-mipsel installed on a Cobalt Qube2

Neale Pickett wrote:
[snip]
> > Unfortunately I have accidentally deleted the .config. It is based on
> > arch/mips/defconfig-cobalt, with just network support (tulip), IDE
> > harddisk support, ext2 and serial console enabled. If I find the time,
> > I build a new kernel and send you the .config over the weekend.
>
> Don't bother on my account--anything you build is unlikely to be
> significantly different from what I built.  I don't think kernel size is
> the issue, I think it's just a really old boot loader.

Does it boot only with a vendor-supplied kernel or with any 2.0.x
(+ patches)? If the latter, the boot loader might look for some
rdev-like bits in the kernel which may have changed in the meanwhile.

An obviously working approach then would be to strip down this
2.0.x kernel to the minimum needed for being accepted by the
boot loader. Then you could try to either find out the exact
requirements of the firmware or convert this skeleton kernel
in a next-stage boot loader for a full-featured 2.4 kernel. :-)

Thiemo