Re: debian-mipsel installed on a Cobalt Qube2

On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 03:51:12PM -0700, Neale Pickett wrote:

> Unfortunately, the Qube 1 (Qube 2700) seems determined not to run any
> kernels I feed it--and believe me, I fed it a lot.  There must be
> something special about the kernel it came with, any mips gurus out
> there know how the blasted thing boots?

I have no Qube but at least for my NASRaq you need to have an absolute
minimalistic configured kernel - the compressed kernel image can be at most
600 and a few kilobytes (do not know the exact limit - somewhere between 600
and 620). If the kernel is larger, the system crashes while loading the
kernel. Try building a vmlinux, strip it and then compress it with gzip -9.
If the result is below 610kB, you should give it a try. The NetBSD/cobalt
docs talk of a limit of about 1MB, which seems to wrong at least for my box.

HTH,
Karsten
--
#include <standard_disclaimer>