Re: RFS: boot-repair

> Currently this is an optional feature: at start-up a window appears
> asking the user if he wants to update from the PPA . Choice is left to
> the user (Yes/No buttons). Is this forbidden by Debian policy? if yes,
> i will deactivate this window.
>
> Regards,
> Yann
Yann,

I didn't check the Debian policy regarding this issue, but...
Just think about it. We already have software in Gnome to
let us know when there are updates for any software we
use in Debian.

Please note that Boot-Repair is a special software:

- Boot-Repair is mostly used by users who have just tried installing Linux for the first time
- Boot-Repair is often a "last-chance" tool before the user formats everything, or abandons Linux installation to return to Windows... (e.g. when installing Ubuntu breaks Windows boot, or GRUB menu doesn't appear).
- Boot-Repair is mostly used in live-CD (when no access to any OS), and the default Update tools will update all packages, which is useless, very long, and even problematic (kernel updates require reboot).
- new boot problems appear frequently (especially new PC with UEFI boots... ), so i think it's important to give the user an easy way to update Boot-Repair (i repeat: update is optional and not silent).

I repeat i will deactivate it if needed by Debian Policy, i simply hope you understand why i added this update option.

Regards and best wishes for 2012 !
Yann