Re: Packaging Arbitrary Files

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

> 5. Give up on using Debian packages to do this and instead use a separate
>    configuration management system that doesn't do its work with packages
>    (something like Puppet or Cfengine).  This is the option that most
>    people take and it scales a lot better, but it's definitely more work.

Well, it's less work than trying to fight against Debian's package
management to do something it tries hard to avoid :-)

In other words: Debian's packaging system has smarts in it to *avoid*
making local configuration changes. If your configuration management
needs are complex enough that you want to spend effort on automating it,
Puppet or Cfengine are the tools to investigate.

--
 \          “The fact that I have no remedy for all the sorrows of the |
  `\     world is no reason for my accepting yours. It simply supports |