Packaging Arbitrary Files

I've got a package which inclides some arbitrary web files.  I'm adding them to the install file and packaging it up and it installs fine.  Now I want to add the file /etc/apache2/apache2.conf file to my package so that when I install, it overwrites or adds my custom configuration to the system so that I know it will serve up my web pages.  Unfortunately, on install I am getting an error.  It is telling me that it is trying to overwrite the existing apache2.conf file which is also in the the apache package, and then it bails.

The weird thing is that I deleted the existing config file and tried it again and it gave the same error.

Sorry if this sounds like a very elementary issue, but I've been searching/reading for two days and still nothing.  Hopefully somone can share a solution with me.

Thanks!

toddaa