Re: Packaging Arbitrary Files

> I've got a package which inclides some arbitrary web files.  I'm adding
> them to the install file and packaging it up and it installs fine.  Now I
> want to add the file /etc/apache2/apache2.conf file to my package so that
> when I install, it overwrites or adds my custom configuration to the
> system so that I know it will serve up my web pages.  Unfortunately, on
> install I am getting an error.  It is telling me that it is trying to
> overwrite the existing apache2.conf file which is also in the the apache
> package, and then it bails.
>
> The weird thing is that I deleted the existing config file and tried it
> again and it gave the same error.
>
> Sorry if this sounds like a very elementary issue, but I've been
> searching/reading for two days and still nothing.  Hopefully somone can
> share a solution with me.
>
> Thanks!
>
> toddaa

A package can not overwrite config files of another package (either if they
exist or not is irrelevant to the point, as long as their are listed as
conffiles) without a Replaces tag.

In any case, are you SURE you need to touch the general Apache config file?
Can not you use the /etc/apache2/conf.d directory for your purposes?

Noel
er Envite