Re: Packaging Arbitrary Files

Hey,

Thanks for responding!  I've tried the conf.d file as well and it give me the same errors.  In any case, I've have other custom config files that I am going to need to overwrite/customize so my main question still applies.  How do I get past the overwrite issue.

I just found that dpkg by itself has a -force-overwrite switch.  So I tried that and it seemed to work, but now I am unsure of how to add that to my package so that when I install from aptitude I will get the same results.

Also, Is there any way to find out if there are files marked as a conffile inside a .deb package file?

Thanks again!

toddaa

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 1:34 PM, Noel David Torres Taño <envite@rolamasao.org> wrote:
> I've got a package which inclides some arbitrary web files.  I'm adding
> them to the install file and packaging it up and it installs fine.  Now I
> want to add the file /etc/apache2/apache2.conf file to my package so that
> when I install, it overwrites or adds my custom configuration to the
> system so that I know it will serve up my web pages.  Unfortunately, on
> install I am getting an error.  It is telling me that it is trying to
> overwrite the existing apache2.conf file which is also in the the apache
> package, and then it bails.
>
> The weird thing is that I deleted the existing config file and tried it
> again and it gave the same error.
>
> Sorry if this sounds like a very elementary issue, but I've been
> searching/reading for two days and still nothing.  Hopefully somone can
> share a solution with me.
>
> Thanks!
>
> toddaa

A package can not overwrite config files of another package (either if they
exist or not is irrelevant to the point, as long as their are listed as
conffiles) without a Replaces tag.

In any case, are you SURE you need to touch the general Apache config file?
Can not you use the /etc/apache2/conf.d directory for your purposes?

Noel
er Envite