Re: Packaging Arbitrary Files

All,

Thanks for your responses.  I just want to make it clear, I am not trying to reinvent the wheel here.  I am not trying to cause any harm to the standard Apache package, and I guess I should have made it known what my ultimate goal was.

What I am trying to accomplish is to streamline my own system setups.  Currently, when I bring up a server I install apache from the repository.  I thought that if I could package my own apache config along with my HTML/PHP files I could eliminate the need to FTP everything to the destination folder, then check rights and permissions manually.

Anything like this that I create will only ever be in my own repository if I do decide to go down that road.

Ben > Thanks for the link, I've read through that already and I guess I only understood the conffiles file to be useful when related to my own package.  Not when trying to overwrite a file that already exists on the system.  Would I be safe to say that dpkg remembers that apache.conf is a configuration file and that it should try to protect it?

Also, you said if I'm not replacing the Apache package I should be overwriting any config files.  Would that be a more appropriate thing to do?  I think I might be able to get by with conf.d for Apache, but there's some other stuff that I have customized the only config file that believe it is using.  For example, proftpd seems to only have /etc/proftpd.conf as a config file.  This file I heavily modify in order to get it to work the way I need it to.  Should I re-package this with my own config?

Thanks!

toddaa