Re: RFS: logtop a realtime log line rate analyzer

Hi Julien

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 07:44:25PM +0100, Julien Palard wrote:
> I rebuilt it from scratch for the moment cause I can't undertand how
> to rebuild it properly without a debian/patches/debian-changes-0.1-1.
> So you have a new version to review today.

The problem was that the CHANGELOG was not present in the upstream's
orig.tar.gz, thus when building the package this was always a
debian-change and thus the debian-changes-0.1-1 created.

I had now time to review the package, sorry for the log delay!

 - debian/copyright: missing space inbetween first stanza and first
   Files: stanza.

 - debian/watch:

-- Scanning for watchfiles in .
-- Found watchfile in ./debian
-- In debian/watch, processing watchfile line:
   http://githubredir.debian.net/github/JulienPalard/logtop/ (.*).tar.gz
-- Found the following matching hrefs:
     /github/JulienPalard/logtop/0~master.tar.gz
     /github/JulienPalard/logtop/v0.1.tar.gz
Newest version on remote site is v0.1, local version is 0.1
 => Newer version available from
    http://githubredir.debian.net/github/JulienPalard/logtop/v0.1.tar.gz
-- Downloading updated package v0.1.tar.gz
-- Successfully downloaded updated package v0.1.tar.gz
    and symlinked logtop_v0.1.orig.tar.gz to it
-- Scan finished

--> v0.1 != 0.1 ... Either change the experession to v(.*) .... so
that the 0.1 is extracted as version. Question: is it possible to
release upstream's source tar.gz as logtop-$version.tar.gz?

 - lintian:

N: Processing binary package logtop (version 0.1-1) ...
W: logtop: manpage-has-bad-whatis-entry usr/share/man/man1/logtop.1.gz
N:
N:    Each manual page should start with a "NAME" section, which lists the
N:    name and a brief description of the page separated by "\-". The "NAME"
N:    section is parsed by lexgrog and used to generate a database that's
N:    queried by commands like apropos and whatis. This tag indicates that
N:    lexgrog was unable to parse the NAME section of this manual page.
N:
N:    For manual pages that document multiple programs, functions, files, or
N:    other things, the part before "\-" should list each separated by a comma
N:    and a space. Each thing listed must not contain spaces; a man page for a
N:    two-part command like "fs listacl" must use something like "fs_listacl"
N:    in the "NAME" section so that it can be parsed by lexgrog.
N:
N:    Refer to the lexgrog(1) manual page, the groff_man(7) manual page, and
N:    the groff_mdoc(7) manual page for details.
N:
N:    Severity: normal, Certainty: certain
N:
W: logtop: manpage-section-mismatch usr/share/man/man1/logtop.1.gz:5 1 != SECTION
N:
N:    A man page usually should contain a .TH header, specifying the section.
N:    The section in this manpage doesn't match with the section in the
N:    filename.
N:
N:    Refer to the groff_man(7) manual page and the man(1) manual page for
N:    details.
N:
N:    Severity: normal, Certainty: certain
N:
I: logtop: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/logtop.1.gz:28
N:
N:    This manual page seems to contain a hyphen where a minus sign was
N:    intended. By default, "-" chars are interpreted as hyphens (U+2010) by
N:    groff, not as minus signs (U+002D). Since options to programs use minus
N:    signs (U+002D), this means for example in UTF-8 locales that you cannot
N:    cut and paste options, nor search for them easily. The Debian groff
N:    package currently forces "-" to be interpreted as a minus sign due to
N:    the number of manual pages with this problem, but this is a
N:    Debian-specific modification and hopefully eventually can be removed.
N:
N:    "-" must be escaped ("\-") to be interpreted as minus. If you really
N:    intend a hyphen (normally you don't), write it as "\(hy" to emphasise
N:    that fact. See groff(7) and especially groff_char(7) for details, and
N:    also the thread starting with
N:    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200303/msg01481.h
N:    tml
N:
N:    If you use some tool that converts your documentation to groff format,
N:    this tag may indicate a bug in the tool. Some tools convert dashes of
N:    any kind to hyphens. The safe way of converting dashes is to convert
N:    them to "\-".
N:
N:    Because this error can occur very often, Lintian shows only the first 10
N:    occurrences for each man page and give the number of suppressed
N:    occurrences. If you want to see all warnings, run Lintian with the
N:    -d/--debug option.
N:
N:    Refer to the groff_char(7) manual page for details.
N:
N:    Severity: wishlist, Certainty: possible
N:
I: logtop: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/logtop.1.gz:46
I: logtop: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/logtop.1.gz:50
I: logtop: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/logtop.1.gz:54
I: logtop: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/logtop.1.gz:58

Bests
Salvatore