Re: RFS: logtop a realtime log line rate analyzer

Hi Julien

On Sun, Dec 05, 2010 at 10:16:49PM +0100, Julien Palard wrote:
> Dear mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "logtop".
>
> * Package name    : logtop
>   Version         : 0.1-1
>   Upstream Author : Julien Palard
> * URL             : http://github.com/JulienPalard/logtop/
> * License         : FreeBSD License
>   Section         : admin
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> logtop     - Realtime log line rate analyzer

> What this package do ?
> $ tail -f SOME_FILE | logtop -s X
> is like doing a :
> $ watch 'tail -f -n X SOME_FILE | sort | uniq -c | sort -gr'
> But it updates line by line (curses interface) and display, for each
> line, the number seen, the number of lines/second, and the line.
> It was wrote to have a low memory footprint and a low cpu usage, as I
> is aimed to help sysadmins analyze lots of logs on production server,
> under heavy load : Log lines are stored in an AVL tree (like a
> red-black tree but a bit slower to insert, faster to search, as it's
> better balanced)
>
> I use it in production to analyse some logs outputing at a rate > 2000
> lines / second for example to analyse traffic on my HTTP load balancer
> (to check if it's normal traffic, watching the top IPs requesting, top
> pages requested ..., hit rate ratios by page etc...). Combined with
> grep, logtop can extract interesting information of any kind of log,
> in realtime with a curses interface using tail -f ... | grep ... |
> logtop or a one-shot analysis using cat file ... | grep ... | logtop
> as a final report is dumped to stdout when stdin closes.
>
> My motivation for maintaining this package is:
> I'm the upstream author of this tool that I was seeking for a long
> time and now that I wrote, and use almost every day. I can't stay
> without sharing it to the Debian community. It's my first package, and
> it will make me happy if my little contribution can make some
> sysadmins happy as I am using Debian !

> main contrib non-free
> - dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/l/logtop/logtop_0.1-1.dsc

> You can contact me by mail : reply to this one, or by google talk :
> mandark.dev or IRC jul1en on freenode and quakenet.

I did a short check of your package, not in full details didn't had
time to e.g. test it.

 - debian/changelog: For first uploads you shoult close an ITP Bug,
   so close #605904.

 - Is it possible to add some more detailed long description in
   debian/control?

 - debian/rules: Remove the comments which are not needed.

 - As you are upstream: Add if possible an upstream Changelog

 - Would be great if it is also possible to monitor new usptream
   versions, and so add a debian/watch file

 - debian/rules: As you are not using override targets, debhelper (>=
   7) should be enough.

Checking with lintian gives some more hints:

W: logtop: manpage-has-bad-whatis-entry usr/share/man/man1/logtop.1.gz
W: logtop: manpage-section-mismatch usr/share/man/man1/logtop.1.gz:5 1 != SECTION
I: logtop: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/logtop.1.gz:28
I: logtop: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/logtop.1.gz:46
I: logtop: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/logtop.1.gz:50
I: logtop: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/logtop.1.gz:54
I: logtop: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/logtop.1.gz:58
P: logtop: no-upstream-changelog
W: logtop: new-package-should-close-itp-bug

Hope that helps so far
Bests
Salvatore