Re: RFS: logtop a realtime log line rate analyzer

Hi Julien

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 08:55:53AM +0100, Julien Palard wrote:
> Hi Salvatore, I have hard time to understand your last mail, (I'm
> french, from Paris, so my english is ... frenchy) :

I'm neither a native english spaeker, but hope we will manage us to
understand each other, im confident :-)

> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 7:52 AM,  wrote:
> > [...]
> > Yes, I would say better. Only one further 'nitpicking' ;-)
> >
> >  logtop is a System Administrator tool to analyze line rate taking log
> >  file as input. It reads on stdin and print a constantly updated result
> >  using curses, displaying in columns:
> >  Line number, count, frequency, and the actual line.
> >  .
> >  $ tail -f FILE | logtop
> >  is the friendly version of:
> >  $ watch 'tail FILE | sort | uniq -c | sort -gr'
>
> Thanks, done

Ok! Let me know when you have new version on mentors.

> > Lines starting indeed with two or more spaces, like the last one then,
> > will show up in verbatim. Could you change this this way and the
> > alignment? (and no spaces preferably inbetween the text and ':').
>
> What do you mean about "show up in verbatim" ? Does the other aren't
> shown verbatim ? Can't mention this on any doc.

Yes, this is explained in Debian Policy, and I can show you an example
of what I mean. The Debian Policy part is here [1]. I have two example
showing what is meant by 'verbatim'. It is clearly not itself in the
debian/control field, but e.g. it is used on webpage,
libdigest-md5-file-perl [2], and libformat-human-bytes-perl [3] is
using that. You see, the 'code' parts there are then in 'verbatim'.

 [1] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#s-f-Description
 [2] http://packages.debian.org/sid/libdigest-md5-file-perl
 [3] http://packages.debian.org/sid/libformat-human-bytes-perl

> > Then there is no need for debian/patches/debian-changes-0.1-1 ;-).
>
> Oops, was automatically done by dpkg-buildpackage i think, the next
> time i'll re-run dpkg-buildpackage it will create it again ? do i have
> to rebuild the package from scratch each time ?

Hmm, yes CHANGELOG is an upstream file, so it should be in the
upstream tar.gz you provide upstream.

> > For the proposal of DEP5 for machine-readable format-specification,
> > have a lock at [1]. So there are missing the File-Copyright-License
> > stanzas. Could you change this?
> >
> > So have the Format-Specification, Name, Maintainer, Source Stanza,
> > then one for your upstream Files and one separate for the debian/*
> > packaging stanza, and last one the license-'stanza'.
>
> Ok, so, as i have some ncurses code, should i make a stanza for
> ncurses ? But there is no ncurses files in my project, just functions
> calls, so i can't make any Files section ? Im the same way, does i
> have to include ncurses_copyright as i done ? So for my own code, can
> i simply do juste one Files: * section ? and finally, as i have the
> $package/debian/copyright, is the $package/COPYRIGHT useless ? (it
> came from the original hierarchy of my project)

So, fist of all, no do not remove your copyright statements from
upstream! There is also no need then to document the copyright of
ncurses. About your question if just one Files: * section is enough,
in priciple yes. But please add also the debian/* part even if for the
first step you as upstream and you as packager are the same. This is
to separate upstream work from packaging work for Debian. Finally, no
do not remove COPYRIGHT file from your upstream sources.

If I understand your correctly, the problem is a bit, that you are
same upstream and packager for Debian in same person. Try to strictly
keep them divided.

I hope this helps?
Bests
Salvatore