Re: RFS: logtop a realtime log line rate analyzer

Hi Julien

On Tue, Dec 07, 2010 at 07:39:09PM +0100, Julien Palard wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 10:49 AM, Salvatore Bonaccorso <carnil@debian.org> wrote:
> > Hi Julien
>
> Hi Salvatore, I just re-uploaded my packages, fixing things you
> pointed to me, thank you to have spent time reviewing my package !
>
> > [...]
> >  - debian/changelog: For first uploads you shoult close an ITP Bug,
> >   so close #605904.
>
> I Just done it, but as it was not written in the New Debian Maintainer
> Guide, should I notify someone to add it ?

Good! It is not mandatory, but see [1,2].

 [1] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/ch-dreq.en.html#s-changelog
 [2] http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/pkgs.html#newpackage

Please note: Bug is then closed when package enters the archive. Do
not close it in advance for that.

> >  - Is it possible to add some more detailed long description in
> >   debian/control?
>
> Just done !

Thanks for expanding it. Please have a look at [3,4] further.
Important point from dev-ref reccomendation, chapter 6.2.3. The long
description. So try further to explain in non-technical ways what the
package will do. There are some questions in 6.2.3 which should help
rewrite the long description.

 [3] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-binary.html#s-descriptions
 [4] http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/best-pkging-practices.html#bpp-desc-basics

> >  - debian/rules: Remove the comments which are not needed.
>
> My bad ... just done !

Good!

> >  - As you are upstream: Add if possible an upstream Changelog
>
> I added the git changelog to the CHANGELOG file, i dont found any help
> on the Debian New Maintainer Guide on the best practice, just found
> that i dont have to merge it with the debian/changelog, does i took
> the right way ?

Yes, that is correct. do not merge them. Upstream changelog is then
installed to /usr/share/doc/$package/changelog.gz and Debian's changelog
in /usr/share/doc/$package/changelog.Debian.gz. See [5] for best practices
regarding debian changelog.

 [5] http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/best-pkging-practices.html#bpp-debian-changelog

> >  - Would be great if it is also possible to monitor new usptream
> >   versions, and so add a debian/watch file
>
> I done it : http://githubredir.debian.net/github/JulienPalard/logtop/
> (.*).tar.gz
> And I created the v0.1 tag to my git repository. I am right ?

Yes looks fine!

> >  - debian/rules: As you are not using override targets, debhelper (>= 7) should be enough.
>
> OK, done

Looks fine!

> > Checking with lintian gives some more hints:
>
> My lintian check : "lintian -i -I --show-overrides
> logtop_0.1-1_amd64.changes" didn't gave me anything, how can I have
> the verbose output you have ?

Yes, I added some more parameters. I used to check:

lintian --pedantic -v -iI --display-experimental --show-overrides

I usually, too append --pedantic to the lintian check.

Bests
Salvatore