Re: RFS: free42

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 11:35:14AM -0500, Jean Schurger wrote:
> Le mardi 21 décembre 2010 à 11:25 +0100, Etienne Millon a écrit :
> > On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 09:49:31AM -0500, Jean Schurger wrote:
> > > I would like to simplify the debian/rules using (dh $@) but i think
> > > i don't understand clearly what is mean. Upstream sources does not
> > > use autotools. Is (dh $@) still applicable ? I think i'm missing
> > > something.
> >
> > Yes, it can be applied. The idea is for example that the "install"
> > target will do default actions (call make install, build temporary
> > directories, compress files, build deb…) except when you "override" a
> > part. Moreover, certain parts follow a certain template : create empty
> > directories, move files, etc. So they can be moved out of the
> > Makefile, in package.dirs, package.install files, and so on.
> >
> > The mailing list does not seem to allow attachments, so I sent you a
> > patch set that does exactly that. I factored your debian/rules to do
> > the minimum in it, and use debhelper for the rest (it might be
> > possible to reduce it further with dh --sourcedirectory=gtk but I am
> > not sure). I kept the patches separate so that you can follow the
> > process.
> >
> > Oh, and I moved doc/free42/README.gtk to doc/free42/README as this is
> > the general purpose readme file for this package.

You meant gtk/README to usr/share/doc/free42/README while not installing
README ?

> Oh nice,
>
>   Thanks for thoses explanations. Now i see much better what yo mean.
> (I've already seen package sources with install and dirs files, without
> really knowing why it was working).
> I'm surprised to see manpages links are done properly on gziped files
> without telling.
> (I've added a little line on the debian/copyright to notice you help :p)
>
> I've updated the package on
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/f/free42/free42_1.4.66-1.dsc

What I downloaded had some issues.  Your package contains:
 debian/patches/debian-changes-1.4.66-1
This may be due to non -clean source tree you used to build package.  I
think you should have removed ChangeLog file after you created it for
some reason when playing with the source.

I did not understand why debian/gtk/Makefile was there after you start
using quilt.

As for debian/rules, I wonder why you make override for dh_clean and
dh_install.  Aren't they meant for dh_auto_* targets?  Something like:
-----
#!/usr/bin/make -f

%:
        dh $@

override_dh_auto_build:
        cd gtk && make
        cd gtk && make BCD_MATH=1

override_dh_auto_clean:
        cd gtk && make cleaner
        rm -f gtk/free42.xpm

override_dh_auto_install:
        cp gtk/icon.xpm gtk/free42.xpm

override_dh_installchangelogs:
        dh_installchangelogs HISTORY

----
At least, these fix some irregularities I see.  (These are not tested
though ...) See more on my explanation at:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/ch-dreq.en.html#s-defaultrules

As for --sourcedirectory thing, I see it explained in debhelper(7) under
"BUILD SYSTEM OPTIONS".   I never packaged this kind of package but
looks like what you need is:

-----
#!/usr/bin/make -f

%:
        dh $@

override_dh_auto_build:
        dh_auto_build --sourcedirectory=gtk
        dh_auto_build --sourcedirectory=gtk -- BCD_MATH=1

override_dh_auto_clean:
        rm -f gtk/free42.xpm
        dh_auto_clean --sourcedirectory=gtk -- cleaner

override_dh_auto_install:
        cp gtk/icon.xpm gtk/free42.xpm

override_dh_installchangelogs:
        dh_installchangelogs HISTORY

----

As for debian/patches/0_less-libs.diff file, you should use DEP-3 format
http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep3/

As for copyright file, you should use DEP-5 format
http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep5/

I do not have time now to check and test these ...  so I may have some
wrong comments ...

Osamu