Re: RFS: backup2l (updated package - new upstream release) (2nd try)

Le Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 02:37:36PM +0100, Joachim Wiedorn a écrit :
> Nicolas Alvarez <nicolas.alvarez@gmail.com> wrote:
> > No, Charles is suggesting putting your package files (eg. your rules script)
> > in a VCS.
> So you mean I should do only the debian directory of the package in an
> VCS? Do make this sense for a small package like backup2l?
>
> As "normal" maintainer (still no DM) I don't can use debian server for
> VCS. Is Sourceforge a good idea?

Hi again,

all Debian collaborators can have a login on our forge, alioth.debian.org. You
can find more documentation about this in our wiki:

http://wiki.debian.org/Alioth

This login gives you the possibility to store the source package in your favorite
version control system, using the workflow that is most suited to you. You can
either store the debian directory only, or the whole package. Personnaly, I like
to store only the debian dir. using the svn-buildpackage helper tool, or the whole
package using git-buildpackage.

Alternatively, if you and the upstream maintainer would like to work together,
the source package could also be stored in the upstream SourceForge project.
This is much less common, but a couple of insightful blogs in planet.debian.org
gave recently some good reasons to try.

In both cases, the VCS you chose can be documented in debian/control, see § 6.2.5
in the Developers Reference: http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/best-pkging-practices.html#bpp-vcs

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy