Re: RFS: blueman

Luca Niccoli wrote:
> 2009/3/1 Jelle de Jong <jelledejong@powercraft.nl>:
>
>> Would it not be better to improver bluez-gnome? or work with the
>
> bluez-gnome is... for gnome.
>

>> Nope there are no official command line tools for pairing, there is the
>> simple-agent.py script in the testing directory of the git source, but it
>> is not supported and does fails for most devices. good command line
>> paring tools are on my wish list.
>
> While a command line tool is long needed, I don't see how a gtk tool
> could be considered not useful.
> As of now there isn't a single bluetooth suite that fits for people
> that don't use Gnome or Kde.
> This happens far too often, desktop-environment agnostic programs
> should be the rule, not the exception.
> As a Xfce user, more often left out in the cold than not, I would
> greet with joy blueman.
> Cheers,
>
> Luca

Not to make this a bikeshed topic, I do agree with you but I learned to
look at other aspects to like, maintainability, support, dependencies,
upstream, and development policy. bluez-gnome is just a name its not as
bad as it sounds, I am a heavy xfce user and supporter[1] too and
personally I think xfce sometimes uses to much decencies on there own
environment libs (reinventing the wheel) I respond to these mails because
good bluetooth support is very important for me and I care.

Since I compile and make testing .deb packages for bluez and gnome-bluez
almost monthly I can say the only gnome lookalike dependency for the
bluetooth-applet is libgconf2-dev, its really not that bad.

Remember about documentation for user and vendors that are going to use
and support bluetooth. How is this documentation to look like? Will this
be blueman? or the application provided with the environment. I would be
happy to see blueman replace gnome-bluez. It will be possible to make
compilation switches to make it work better on gtk only and gnome
environments.

So try to work something out with the original developers and see if
there can be one good gtk tool that can be used on gtk only and gnome
environment.

And yes good command-line tools if offtopic but I just wanted to mention
it because I will beg for them :-D I don't like create manual dbus
commands and read the source to make them to just pair a device!

Best regards,

Jelle de Jong

[1] https://secure.powercraft.nl/svn/packages/trunk/pictures/screenshots/