Re: RFS: cppcheck (3rd attempt)

On Thursday 06 November 2008 17:31:29 Reijo Tomperi wrote:
--cut--
> What about the cppcheck package, you didn't give any comments about it,
> does that mean it is now perfect? ;)

Package looks fine to me, although I can't figure out why xsltproc warns like
that [0] when -nonet option were passed to it.

[0] xsltproc -''-nonet -''-param
man.charmap.use.subset "0" /usr/share/sgml/docbook/stylesheet/xsl/nwalsh/manpages/docbook.xsl
debian/cppcheck.1.xml
I/O error : Attempt to load network entity
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.5/docbookx.dtd
debian/cppcheck.1.xml:62: warning: failed to load external
entity "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.5/docbookx.dtd";
]>

Let me look at that closer during the weekend and I'll sponsor untill Sunday
night.

> What should I do now? Just wait for a sponsor volunteer and upload it or
> is there something I can or I should do?

Let me gabble out a bit: I think cppcheck could be used to test some code
generated by tools like bison++ and bisonc++, along with the human-generated
code of course. Furthermore, I believe that some of the advices and
recommendations given by Scott Meyers [1] could be implemented in cppcheck.
Interestingly enough, Meyes first intended to create such a checking tool,
but gave up since some of the `rules' were too hard to formalize, there were
too many important exceptions to these rules which must be taken into account
and it is somehow dangerous to be enforced blindly by a program. So, I'd love
to see him proven wrong, at least partially ;-)

[1] in "Effective and More Effective C++"