Re: RFS: cppcheck (3rd attempt)

On Thursday 06 November 2008 00:19:38 Reijo Tomperi wrote:

> >> I'm not using, but I have submitted the man page to the upstream so it
> >> can be found from there.
> >
> > You should try to use one to keep track of different versions and
> > branches (stable, testing, unstable and maybe special ubuntu branches).
> > There are different helper packages for that `apt-cache search -n
> > buildpackage`. It is not a must or should. I've just noticed that
> > decentralised vcs works just fine for that.
>
> Sounds like a good advice, I will need to investigate that later. I'm
> thinking about using git as it has pretty good support for branches.
There are many projects using git-buildpackage. You can find some of them by
googling for `site:packages.qa.debian.org vcs "git (browse)"`.

Small tipp for using it: sign your tags and use pristine-tar. The initial
import can be done by:
mkdir cppcheck
cd cppcheck
git init
git import-orig --pristine-tar --sign-tags ../cppcheck_1.25.orig.tar.gz
git-import-dscs --pristine-tar --sign-tags ../cppcheck_1.25-1.dsc ../cppcheck_1.25-2.dsc ../cppcheck_1.25-3.dsc
cat << EOF > debian/gbp.conf
[DEFAULT]
pristine-tar = True
sign-tags = True
EOF
git add debian/gbp.conf
git commit -m "Enable pristine-tar and sign-tags for gbp"

You can google a little bit for
`(gitorious | github) debian package "git buildpackage"` to find some more
informations about using public git hosting with git buildpackage

> But
> if I use only local git, do I need to or should I edit the control file?
> If so what exactly am I supposed to put there?
No, if you only use it locally it doesn't make sense to add such information
to debian/control.
Otherwise you should add something like:
Vcs-Git: git://git.debian.org/git/pkg-cppchecker/cppchecker
Vcs-Browser: http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-cppchecker/cppchecker.git

or if you use something like gitorious:
Vcs-Git: git://gitorious.org/cppchecker/mainline.git
Vcs-Browser: http://gitorious.org/projects/cppchecker/repos/mainline/trees
--
Robert Wohlrab