Re: Quilt and patches directory

* Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> [080915 21:29]:
> Thanks again, Bernhard. I didn't know that
> foo: bar baz
> will result in bar/baz run in parallel. I thought there is some kind of
> guarantee that bar is processed first.

It will usually be the case, because make only runs one process at a
time by default and does not reorder things, so it will usually see
first to do bar then see to do baz, so do first bar, then baz.

Some examples where this not happens are:

cat > Makefile <<EOF
foo: bar baz
bar:
        sleep 10
        echo bar
baz:
        echo baz
EOF

# As make is told that two processes may run at the same time, bar is
# still started first, but also baz and before bar is finished:
make -j2 foo

# as make is told to do baz and foo and foo needs bar and baz,
# but baz was already done earlier, so it does baz bar foo:
make baz foo

> Would
>
> config.status: $(QUILT_STAMPFN) configure
>
> build-stamp: config-status

s/config-status/config.status/ ;->

> be ok then?

otherwise ok, assuming your configure invocation actually produces a
config.status file. (Autoconf generated configure scripts do so, and
almost all configure scripts are autoconf generated, but I think there
might be a little number (I guess at most a dozen in the whole Debian
archive) that are not).

Hochachtungsvoll,
	Bernhard R. Link