Re: Quilt and patches directory

Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> writes:

> What do you think, shouldn't the proper usage of this tools in
> debian/rules not be documented anywhere, README.Debian in quilt/dpatch
> maybe?

It definitely should be better-documented.

Lintian should also check for this.  I'll file a bug (I don't have a lot
of time to write the check myself at present).

> Thanks again, Bernhard. I didn't know that
> foo: bar baz
> will result in bar/baz run in parallel. I thought there is some kind of
> guarantee that bar is processed first.
>
> Would
>
> config.status: $(QUILT_STAMPFN) configure
>
> build-stamp: config-status
>
> be ok then?

Yes, that should be okay, although I encourage you not to use
config.status as a stamp file for configure.  It's *probably* okay to do
so, but you're making an assumption about how Autoconf works, and who
knows -- some later version may change that assumption.

I create an explicit configure-stamp file and do:

configure-stamp: $(QUILT_STAMPFN)

You can also depend on configure if you want; I personally prefer to have
to run fakeroot debian/rules clean if I want to restart the build from
scratch.