Re: RFC: avr-evtd

Le Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 02:16:19AM -0300, Rogério Brito a écrit :

> I would be glad if someone uploaded this package for me or provided me
> with constructive criticism.

Hi Rogério,

I had a look to your package. I am not very familiar with that kind of
software, so I will only make comments on the packaging.

* Although Upstream does not seem to be active since two years, I would
anyway recommend to publish your patches on SF.net. At least it could be
useful to other distros, or encourage people to prepare a new release.
If you like the idea, then I suggest that once it is done you add the
URL to the patch on SF.net in the header of the patch.

* Some of your patches fix coding style (whitespaces, DOS carriage
returns, indentation). Consider that they may create a small work
overhead to people who may have to investigate the package, for instance
if there is a security issue while you are in vacation. They will also
make it uneasy to exchange patches with Upstream or other distros when
these patches are applied after the coding-style ones.

* To fully comply with Policy 3.8.0, you can copy
/usr/share/doc/quilt/README.source or mention it in
debian/README.source.

* If you have free time, like the idea and want to help it gain
momentum, you can consider converting your copyright file to the
format detailed in http://wiki.debian.org/Proposals/CopyrightFormat.
to the format.

* Upstream chose -Os for compilation. -O2 in Debian is not strictly
mandatory, so if you find that sticking to -Os helps, you can.

* Upstream's makefile has some instructions (-DMIPS) if it detects mips
CPU. You do not do the same test in debian/rules (an you do not use
Upstream's makefile). Is it intentional?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,