Re: Quilt and patches directory

Russ Allbery wrote:
> David Paleino <d.paleino@gmail.com> writes:
>> On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 15:24:08 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

Hi Russ

>>> You add:
>
>>>     include /usr/share/quilt/quilt.make
>
>>> to debian/rules and then make your first target (usually configure,
>>> build, configure-stamp, build-stamp, or something like that) depend on
>>> $(QUILT_STAMPFN) and your clean target depend on unpatch.  That handles
>>> applying and removing the patches during the build.
>> This might be a little OT, but, yes, even if I've always used
>> $(QUILT_STAMPFN), but also "patch" works. Why do we use that $() thing?
>
> Because patch is a phony target which is therefore always out of date, and
> therefore anything that depends on patch will be triggered to run every
> time that you run debian/rules.  Depending on patch instead of
> $(QUILT_STAMPFN) can therefore cause odd behavior like running configure
> twice or make twice, depending on the rest of debian/rules.

Could you give a real-world example when that can happen. I've always
used the patch target (instead of $(QUILT_STAMPFN)) in my debian/rules
files and so far haven't encountered any issues.

Given that patch depends on $(QUILT_STAMPFN) I can't imagine a scenario
where I would run into problems using the patch target.

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?