Re: Quilt and patches directory

David Paleino <d.paleino@gmail.com> writes:
> On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 15:24:08 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> You add:

>>     include /usr/share/quilt/quilt.make

>> to debian/rules and then make your first target (usually configure,
>> build, configure-stamp, build-stamp, or something like that) depend on
>> $(QUILT_STAMPFN) and your clean target depend on unpatch.  That handles
>> applying and removing the patches during the build.
>
> This might be a little OT, but, yes, even if I've always used
> $(QUILT_STAMPFN), but also "patch" works. Why do we use that $() thing?

Because patch is a phony target which is therefore always out of date, and
therefore anything that depends on patch will be triggered to run every
time that you run debian/rules.  Depending on patch instead of
$(QUILT_STAMPFN) can therefore cause odd behavior like running configure
twice or make twice, depending on the rest of debian/rules.