Re: dh_clean and explicit package clean lists

Hello,

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 08:59:31AM +0200, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> > You probably want a custom regex in the -i option to dpkg-source.
> > Using debuild and DEBUILD_DPKG_BUILDPACKAGE_OPTS in ~/.devscripts is a
> > good way to prevent the need to add it to the dpkg-buildpackage
> > command-line every time you run it.
>
> Is it possible to set this option in the package itself?  This would
> make life easier in case of team maintenance, NMUs and adoption.
> If these options can only be set in $HOME, everybody involved will have
> to add them themselves.  This is IMO a likely cause of error, which
> could be avoided.

I see your point, but disagree. :-)  I would prefer to use a different
approach, which will break instead of ignore.  In particular, if I still
have a vim swap file, I want the build to fail.  If it doesn't it's too
easy to forget to save before building.

All the VCS stuff should definitely not be ignored; packages are built
from released tarballs, not from vcs checkouts (well, most of the time
anyway).  But leaving them in will make lintian complain, which is good.
:-)

Anyway, my point is that what exactly should be ignored is a personal
thing, which has little to do with the package that's being worked on.
That's a good reason for putting thing in $HOME.  And also for not
allowing such options to be overridden from a package.  Defaults from a
package could be acceptable, but I don't see much benefit to that,
really.

Thanks,
Bas

--