Re: RFS: teeworlds

I've temporarily removed the package from mentors as it's now been uploaded to the debian-games SVN and a number of technical problems with the package are being resolved, I'll reupload it to mentors and send out a new RFS when its ready.

Matricks also asked me to post his remarks on the licensing situation:

"I thought I just might clear some things up.

In the eyes of the public the Teeworlds (previously known as Teewars)
is soon to turn 1 year old. Behind the curtains the project have a
history of about 6 concrete years. I've written many version of the
game and tried out many different things but it never mounted to a
public release. When I wrote (from scratch) this version of Teeworlds
I had one thing in mind, develop the game and nothing else. My
intention were always to release it as open source so anyone that
wanted could help and also so it could be played on various platforms
that I don't have access to.

Being open source haven't really given any real benefits for the
project so far and I believe that I might have opened the source
prematurely. The game might have benefited from being closed a while
longer and giving me more time to just concentrate on developing the
game but closing the source now is of cause to late and will just hurt
the game even more.

0.1.x and 0.2.x were released without the source. 0.3.x were released
with source but under a very strict license with the intention to
change it in the future. The 0.4.x license (the current) were
constructed with some of my private wishes and formulated by a license
expert at Fedora (communicates to this guy where done through proxy
guy) to make sure that I didn't step on anyones toes, which seams like
it didn't help at all.

The much discussed point 4 is my expressed wish and partly due to some
of the troubled past with Teeworlds (don't ask,
http://www.teeworlds.com/?page=journal&id=942). Also, I work at a game
development house which complicates everything a bit when it comes to
involvement of money. As long as it's a hobby thing it's not a
problem.

I don't really care about publicity, money etc, but I do care deeply
about the game and what to see it materialized. Lately I've gotten
less and less time to do actual work on the game (I'm only active
coder on it) because of the color of the bike shed (http://
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_of_the_bikeshed) and getting kinda tired
of it (not only the license question). This is something I've realized
and started to move over more responsibility to other people that I
can trust and can deal with it. I'm sorry if I've offended anyone, I
should have acted more professional.

As for point 4, it will stay until I can figure out exactly how to
deal with it. It can perhaps (read likely) be removed in the future
but for now it stays due to various reasons. These things take time.

Cheers,
Magnus "matricks" Auvinen

btw, Debian rocks! We use it on our server, my home server and I use
xubuntu on my desktop at home  :) "

Thanks for your time and feedback,
Jack Coulter