Re: RFS: teeworlds

Le Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 04:19:12PM +0800, Paul Wise a écrit :
> On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Miriam Ruiz <little.miry@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  That's the zlib license (http://www.gzip.org/zlib/zlib_license.html)
> >  with an extra clause forbidding some kind of commercial usage
> >  ("Neither this software nor any of its individual components, in
> >  original or modified versions, may be sold by itself"). I'm not really
> >  sure that it is DFSG-compliant. I'm CCing debian-legal to get other
> >  opinions on that.
>
> That is a similar clause to the one in the Open Font Library. Fonts
> using the OFL have been accepted into Debian, so presumably the
> ftpmasters would accept this licence.

Hi Paul

If yes, please post a mail on debian-devel-announce@lists.debian.org,
because I bet that many maintainers of non-free packages will be happy
to make an upload to main.

More seriously, this is obviously non-free, and would make serious
difficulties for the distributors of Debian CDs. Consider that even
software that allow redistibution for a fee but disallow profit are not
accepted in main.

Jack, I strongly recommend to contact Upstream and to expose some clear
arguments in a kind and friendly style. "No commercial use" was invented
in a past were people did not try to live from free software. Upstream
may be sensitive to this, to the problem of redistribution, and might
accept to relicense.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy