Re: SVN snapshot versioning

On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 09:17:37AM +0100, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 19:51 -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> > I disagree.  How do I know that r91 was committed two days ago?
>
> This also does not hold for regular, released versions. I don't see why
> this should be conveyed in the version number of snapshot packages and
> not for regular releases: how fresh is version 2.1.8 of a package?

True.  However, when the package goes from version 2.1.8 to version
2.4.3, I have vague idea of how significant the change was, assuming the
upstream developers follow half-way sane versioning practices.  I know
that sometimes a 0.0.1 increment can be a huge change and a major
version increase can be something completely transparent to the user.
However, with the svn repository version number, I have absolutely no
idea of the magnitude of the changes.  Perhaps "freshness" was not the
best word.

Anyhow, i still maintain  that including the date is not at all harmful
and can only help end users.

Regards,

-Roberto

--