Re: SVN snapshot versioning

On 1/23/07, Roberto C. Sanchez <roberto@connexer.com> wrote:
I guess it depends.  If there has been no "stable" release with a
version number, then something like 20070112svn is what I would use for
the upstream version.  Personally, I would stay away from using rev
numbers since they are meaningless to anyone not intimately familiar
with development of that package.

IMO revision numbers are more useful as they are easier to line up
with upstream and if reporting a bug a revision number is probably
more useful to the upstream developer, especially if more than one
commit was made on one day.

JFTR the software I am packaging has had semi-stable releases but they
are few and far between and all bugfixing goes on in SVN.

For something that has had stable releases and you are packaging
snapshots between releases, I would do something 1.1.15~20070112svn for
the upstream version.

So for a snapshot of revision 91 between stable version 2.0 and future
version 2.1, would something like:
   2.1~20070123svn.r91

be OK?

--
Andrew Donnellan
ajdlinuxATgmailDOTcom (primary)    ajdlinuxATexemailDOTcomDOTau (secure)